Mathematical Association of America says:
The AMC 8 is a 25-question, 40-minute, multiple choice examination in middle school mathematics designed to promote the development of problem-solving skills. The AMC 8 provides an opportunity for middle school students to develop positive attitudes towards analytical thinking and mathematics that can assist in future careers. Students apply classroom learned skills to unique problem-solving challenges in a low-stress and friendly environment.
AMC (8, 10 and 12) are the stepping stones for ‘real math Olympiad’ (AIME, USAJMO, USAMO, IMO).
If you plan to apply for AMC, you may use the following resources:
- You may apply for AMC through school OR independently. Many organizations proctor AMC tests and you may take the test through them. Find out about the application process and deadlines here.
- Past year’s AMC Test papers are the best practice problems to prepare for AMC. Here are some of the papers:
- Books are the most useful resources in the long run. They are the repositories of conceptual wisdom and practical problem solving methods.
- Algebra: Higher Algebra by Hall and Knight
- Number Theory: (for beginners) Mathematical Circles: Russian Experience by Fomin
- Geometry: Challenges and Thrills of Pre-College Mathematics
- Combinatorics: Principles and Techniques in Combinatorics
- Other: Mathematics can be Fun by Yakov Perelman
The Advanced Math Olympiad Program includes AMC level training. It builds the concepts and problem solving skills with a long term objective: Math Olympiads (AMC, AIME, USAMO, IMO)
Admission to it is highly selective. There are only 10 seats available every year (due to time constraint). Prospective candidates must appear in an interview and test before admission.
Contact for more details:
- +1 929 396 6828